Saturday, February 23, 2008

02/23/08


Camellia japonica 'Kramer's Supreme'

I have this notion that sometimes photography cannot do justice to the beauty that exits in nature. This seems to be very clear to me when I try to capture the essence of the color red in flowers. I imagine a painting would do a better job. But in the mean time, I keep trying with the camera. I attempted to capture the 'drop your jaw' awe of the blooms on my Camellia japonica 'Kramer's Supreme'. I came 'almost nearly' close but the photos don't do justice. I have three 'Kramer's Supreme' growing waaaay back in the back of my garden. When they are in bloom however, they are the very first thing you notice. It helps that most of the garden is still dormant and very little else is in bloom. For now, I will use my camera, but one of these days I will heed the little voice inside me that says ‘make a painting.’ I hear it often and ignore it, but when the Camellia is in bloom the voice isn't as quiet!
*btw- did you know that Camellia is in the Tea family (Theaceae)!

No comments: