Monday, March 17, 2008

03/17/08





I bought some Golden Groundsel (Senecio aureus) from a native plant sale about 3 years ago. For two years I saw the same plant blooming along with the bluebonnets and other wildflowers on the roadsides throughout Texas. I kept wondering why mine didn't. This year it finally bloomed! I can only describe the yellow as being neon! It is so bright ya need sunglasses! I've heard it is invasive, so I have it planted in a bed with Obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana), Houttuynia, Bog Sage (Salvia uliginasa), and Salvia coccinea. Each of these is invasive so I let them duke it out for themselves. If one of these tries to obtain too much territory, I may have to step in and control the outcome. In the mean time, for now, I'll just enjoy the 'neon' yellow blooms of the Golden Groundsel while it is the leading actor on the stage.

No comments: