Tuesday, September 9, 2008

09/09/08





Chinese Chives/Garlic Chives (Allium tuberosum)

One of my favorite flowers in late summer early autumn is Chinese or Garlic Chives. Through the years I've let them seed themselves. I've let them multiply in my moon garden and the main backyard border. This year, now that I have abundance, I will cut the flowers before they go to seed. Some people consider this plant invasive, and I can see why. I don't mind that mine have multiplied as much as they have. One reason I don't mind is the flowers, of course! Another reason is that they grow amongst my rose bushes. Some say growing alliums near roses helps with blackspot and mildew as well as warding off unwanted bugs. And thirdly, they are yummy! I like to use them with Mexican Mint Marigold (Tagetes lucida) on egg salad sandwiches.

1 comment:

Tex in the Garden said...

I can't figure why garlic chives aren't sold in the ornamental/ perennial sections of garden centers instead of the herb aisle. They are tough & tidy, evergreen, edible, pretty when they flower. Except for spreading wherever they want, a perfect plant.

Whenever my dog escapes from the house, the first thing she does is run to the alley and smell the garlic chives. Peculiar

I'm in Dallas. Check out my new blog if you have time to spare:
http://www.mostlytexasnatives.com/cgi/wp/