Tuesday, September 23, 2008

09/23/08

Rose 'Knock-Out'
Most likely, if you see a bright cherry red rose planted in mass around town, it will be a Knock-Out. I can't say enough about the performance of this rose. In my yard, it is literally never without blooms. The foliage is extremely healthy as well. The All-American Rose Selection association http://www.rose.org/ noticed the amazing virtues of this rose and awarded it in 2000. The only thing missing from Knock-Out is a scent. I put off getting this rose for that very reason, but after seeing it in people's gardens and coveting the bright bright color of its blooms, I purchased one for my front door border. I haven't regretted it one single bit!

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

The grocery store we visited in a nearby town today had two huge carts out front with every K.O. rose I've ever seen: red, pink and all. $10.00 each.

Unfortunately, I was not alone and the truck would have left without me if I'd gone back inside carrying pots of roses.

Tex in the Garden said...

Donald:

I have a couple of knockouts, plus three Belinda's Dream (other EarthKind roses). None bloomed much this year. I did transplant them last fall. Can you spare some tips that might help me encourage mine to bloom next year?

Thanks,

Tex in the Garden
http://www.mostlytexasnatives.com/cgi/wp/