Monday, November 14, 2011

11/14/11




Zinnia elegans

 I read that Zinnia was given the flower of the year for 2011 by the National Garden Bureau, and decided to grow some. Little did I know that it would turn out to be the hottest and driest summer on record for Texas, so of course, I had very little blooms or buds. I religiously watered beyond my comfort level determined to keep them alive so that I would have flowers in the fall. I'm not sure if the price I had to pay both financially and environmentally was worth it, but I sure am enjoying their autumn blooms.

2 comments:

1st Man said...

Ahh, such a pretty little flower, and so much variety. I remember growing up and visiting my Grandmother's house and she always called these her "zinnys". For years I thought that's what they were called, ha. Beautfiful photography too. Nice to see such vibrant colors this time of year.

Donald's Garden said...

Thanks 1st man! I'm zanny for zinnys! :)